Our Mission & Vision
“Helping people grow in friendship, knowledge, and faith.”
In an effort to fulfill its mission, St. John’s Lutheran Church focuses on service to our community and congregation, sound biblical teaching, and regular worship. From our multigenerational worship services where young and old gather together in worship to our small group bible studies and even social events, St. John’s realizes the importance of friends gathering together within a community of believers to learn more about God and in turn strengthen their faith in him. As individual faith grows, the entire community of believers also grows as more friendships are made.
What we believe
By grace, through faith!
With the universal Christian Church, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod teaches and responds to the love of the Triune God: the Father, creator of all that exists; Jesus Christ, the Son, who became human to suffer and die for the sins of all human beings and to rise to life again in the ultimate victory over death and Satan; and the Holy Spirit, who creates faith through God’s Word and Sacraments.
The three persons of the Trinity are coequal and coeternal, one God.
As a member of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod, we accept and preach the same Bible-based teachings of Martin Luther that inspired the reformation of the Christian Church in the 16th century.
The teaching of Luther and the reformers can be summarized in three phrases: Grace alone, Faith alone, Scripture alone.
God loves the people of the world, even though they are sinful, rebel against Him and do not deserve His love. He sent Jesus, His Son, to love the unlovable and save the ungodly.
By His suffering and death as the substitute for all people of all time, Jesus purchased and won forgiveness and eternal life for them. Those who hear this Good News and believe it have the eternal life that it offers. God creates faith in Christ and gives people forgiveness through Him.
The Bible is God’s inerrant and infallible Word, in which He reveals His Law and His Gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ. It is the sole rule and norm for Christian doctrine.
You can learn more about the LCMS and the beliefs held by their member churches, by visiting their website.
Our early history
Serving Elgin for 160 years
In the mid-19th century, a small group of German immigrants who lived in the Elgin area came alongside the Fox River to worship together.
Two Lutheran Pastors from Chicago, Pastors Wunder and Mueller came to lead services on July 4, 1859. They further went on to write a Lutheran constitution and organize a congregation.
On February 23, 1860, the congregation purchased a small white frame church for $550.00 on the corner of Spring and Division Streets. The Church was named St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.
The first pastor, Von Snell, was a Rationalist. Rationalism was a belief system that rejected the divine origin of Scripture and treated God more philosophically than theologically. It said that Scripture and man’s reason should carry equal weight. His tenure did not last long.
The next Pastors were also non-Lutheran, Pastor Reinecke, Pastor Dulon, and Rev Carl Israel were all of the Evangelical Synod, which later became part of the United Church of Christ. Each had a different view of what St. John’s doctrine should be. In 1867 the name was changed to St. John’s United Evangelical Church. After several other Pastors’ disagreements within the congregation Pastor Richman came in and ushered in a Lutheran constitution in 1875, which brought in Pastor H. F. Fruechtenicht who remained with St. John’s for 42 years.
Rev. Hannibal Frederich