Church History

historical st johnHistory of Our Church

In the Mid 19th Century, a smal group of German immigrants that lived in the Elgin area came along side the fox river to worship together. 

 

Two Lutheran Pastors from Chicago, Pastors Wunder and Mueller came to lead services on July 4th of 1859. They further went on to write a Lutheran constitution and organize a congregation. 

 

On February 23, 1860 the congregation purchased a small white frame church for $550.00 on the corner of Spring and Division Streets. Three days later on February 27th, the Church was named St. Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church. 

 

The first pastor Von Snell who was a Rationalist. Rationalism was a belief system that rejected the divine origin of Scripture and treated God more philosophically than theologically. It said that Scripture and man's reason should carry eqyal weight. His tenure ddi not last long.

 

The next Pastor was also non Lutheran, Pastor Reinecke, Pastor Dulon, Rev Carl Israel who were all of the Evangalical Synod whic later became part of United Church of Christ. Each had a different view of what St. John's doctrine should be. In 1867 the name was changed to St. John's United Evangenical Church. After several other Pastors disagreements within the congreation Pastor Richman came in and ushered in a Lutheran constitution in 1875, which brought in Pastor H. F. Fruechtenict who remained with St. John's for 42 years.   

 

 

 

© 2017 St Johns Evangelical Elgin
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community